Hans Wegner Shell Chair
Hans J. WegnerWith his love of natural materials and his deep understanding of the need for furniture to be functional as well as beautiful, Hans J. Wegner ... Read More
- True to original, Seat and back are made of formpressed plywood shells. The 3 legs consist of a laminated construction, the 2 front legs are made of one continuous piece and the hind leg is a separate element. To enhance the comfort, the design has added 2 upholstered cushions which are fastened to the shell with screws from the back.
- Wooden Veneer is First and Seconds grade American Timber. FAS boards are certified to be only the best cuts from the log and produce the least amount of knots. These are sourced exclusively from USA, Canadian and Brazilian companies including Midwest Walnut Company®, Lehmonn Lumber® and Hartzell Hardwoods®.
- Wood is finished with a final application of Italian Lacquer. This protects the wood and gives it the most natural look possible, ensuring the colour will not fade over time. A total of 4 coats are applied.
- Dimensions: H 29.25" W 36.25" D 32.75" Seat H 14"
- Available in Danish Fabric, Imported Italian Leather or Pony Hide
- Available in 3 different wood veneers, Natural Oak, Walnut and Black Stained, please specify in order comments.
Genuine Imported Leathers
In order to distinguish Rove's line of genuine imported full leathers from generic leathers offered elsewhere that make similar claims of quality, we highly encourage you to request free swatches from each store and compare them side by side!
We are confident you will see the difference our quality makes. Rove products are designed to last for years thus it is only fitting that great attention is owed to the material and craftsmanship of each piece.
After the initial advent of the modernist movement, Danish designer Hans Wegner realised that its sharp and sometimes brusque edges needed to be sanded down. His Shell Chair is an example of one of his many designs that gave aesthetes a comfortable seat.
This stunning replica is true to the original design, with its floating wing-like lines and surprisingly sturdy three-legged base. The deep angled seat inspires a sense of comfort and ease, making it ideal to curl up in.
The Wegner Style Shell Chair is a beautiful soloist, or with the addition of 2 or more chairs, it can also present an elegant collection.
Hans J. Wegner
With his love of natural materials and his deep understanding of the need for furniture to be functional as well as beautiful, Hans J. Wegner (1914–) made mid-century Danish design popular on an international scale. He began his career as a cabinetmaker in 1931 and subsequently entered the Copenhagen School of Arts & Crafts. After receiving his architectural degree in 1938, he worked as a designer in Arne Jacobsen and Erik Møller’s architectural office before establishing his own office in 1943. With more than 500 different chair designs Wegner is the most prolific Danish designer to date. His international breakthrough and greatest sales success came in 1949 when he designed the Round chair. The American magazine Interiors featured the chair on the cover and referred to it as “the world’s most beautiful chair”. The chair rose to stardom when used in the televised presidential debates between Nixon and Kennedy in 1960 and has since been known simply as “The Chair”. The real beauty of Wegner’s genius must be seen in context with his collaboration with master cabinetmaker Johannes Hansen. The attitude with which Johannes Hansen accepted the young designer’s ideas was the perfect combination between designer and craftsman. Their collaboration went on for many years, and they presented their work at the Cabinetmaker’s show every year from 1941–1966. Wegner’s design went on to win worldwide recognition through the 1950’s and 1960’s and his furniture, in particular his chairs, are to be found in the permanent collections of the world’s most prestigious museums.
36.25" x 29.25" x 32.75"
ReviewsTo post a review you must login to your customer account.
Fast shipping via FedEx on all our in stock items.
Furniture Order Processing Time
Orders in stock take 1 business day to process and typically ship 1 day after payment clears. Tracking numbers are provided via email. You can watch the progress of your shipment as soon as they are made available to us. Average delivery times are posted below.
Continental U.S & Canada Furniture Delivery Times
On average Canadian customers can anticipate delivery within our current 5-12 business day average. U.S. customers can anticipate delivery within our 7-12 business day delivery average.
International orders allow average 18-24 business days for arrival. Tracking numbers will be provided. International orders are not eligible for advertised shipping promotions. International customers please contact us to receive a custom delivery quote.